Enerza has provided a high level of technical, reliable and consistent services to resolve our technical issues within the agreed time frame.We would recommend Enerza to any company which requires effective solutions.
Genesis is one of the UK’s leading housing associations, owning or managing around 33,000 homes across London and the east of England, with a stock portfolio including a range of properties – from temporary housing to rented homes for sale, as well as supported housing.
Genesis is also part of the G15 group, which is made up of London’s largest housing associations and is responsible for providing homes for around one in ten people living in the capital, working to address the chronic lack of housing by building new homes. Around 25 per cent of all new homes that are under development in the capital are being built by G15 housing associations, including Genesis.
Summary of project undertaken and benefits achieved.
Genesis approached Enerza Solutions to investigate and remedy a serious problem in regards to various urgent issues on the Larden Road factory quarter site.
The site consists of 475 apartments spread over 11 blocks also consisting of ground level retail units and communal areas. The development has a mix of social housing and private tenants.
The challenges were:
- To locate and remedy the riser bypasses in the DH system which were of poor quality and incorrectly specified causing the high return temperatures
- Leaks in the district heating system causing pressure drop
No control over the plant room as all equipment was in manual running of both internal and individual set points. Neither strategy nor optimisation were ever instigated or considered and no duty cycling was in place.
- A better maintenance regime needed to be instigated to keep equipment running correctly, recommissioning of equipment was also needed.
- Ventilation intake was of very poor design and cold air intake was inadequate to run the gas turbine chp units or provide for the 4 x 1.4mw gas boilers.
- GHA was unable to bill tenants as the original metering system installation was not up to standard, therefore data was irretrievable and the mbus system design was also incorrect.
- Number of issues regarding HIU units in the apartments, such as failed valves, leaks, no hws or heating in properties.
- Oversized boiler burners only allowing us to bring them in at 420kw and therefore unable to hit the lower 200kw demand periods.
- The project was initiated because there were constant issues regarding leaks and the plant room was going off-line every few days. Not only was this causing high costs in maintenance and call outs, there were also high cost inefficiencies of gas and electricity usage and many tenant complaints.
- High energy usage for the plant room resulting in huge inefficiency.
- Tenant billing was on an estimated basis, causing an unacceptably large number of resident complaints.
- Due to the number of issues we needed to first solve the main problem which was the plant room operating in a very unreliable fashion. We prioritised achieving the plant room running with a steady state strategy. This involved rewriting the BMS completely to control of a common set point rather than individual, to enable the plant room to work as one unit not as individual pieces of equipment.
- Riser bypass valves were under specified on the original install, consequently the valves had failed in all risers causing a constant flow on the return instead of regulating on temperature. They all needed changing before proceeding with the rest of the project as this was having a masking effect on other potential issues downstream of the circuit.
- Remove old and fit new heat meters/electricity meters and water meters in all 475 apartments, which relay back on the WMBUS network via a long a fibre backbone to the main server where data is collated and stored for billing.
- Whilst visiting the apartments for meter works we also took the opportunity to service and repair defective HIU units.
- Completely re-design the ventilation to supply the correct air to all the equipment and integrate with the BMS system and interlocks.
- To re-establish communications and build a display/control dashboard on the Enerza BMS cloud system to allow for accurate display of data and historical logging, with alarms and an easy to use graphical display for O&M purposes and reporting for GHA.
- The whole control strategy had to be analysed and re-written due to the lack of strategic control. The plant was previously set on more of a timed execution where all boilers would fire at high burn for 30 minutes, then switch off causing a very inefficient control hysteresis not to mention high running costs. This also caused massive temperature fluctuations in the DH network which was totally unacceptable.
- Fit a 500 kw fully modulating condensing boiler to cover the lower demand periods, using the existing boilers to hit high demand periods > 420k.
- Being able to monitor and control the site to pinpoint alarms and site failures. Achieve steady running and increase plant life expectancy/reducing breakdowns by avoiding irregular running cycles, therefore reducing call outs/breakdowns and receiving alerts on a RAG alert methodology.
- The client was able to visualise the site and any alarms and issues entirely remotely, email alarms were sent on activation and reporting dashboards became achievable – a highly useful tool for the disposal of GHA.
- Having the ability to retrieve meter readings and bill the approx 1800 tenants per annum over 475 apartments generating a billing income of 875k per annum.
- Steady state and modulating control of the plant room using the CHP units achieved a 98% reduction in reactive works/callouts to the plant room.
- At least a 30% saving per annum on plant energy usage with the chp dynamically satisfying base loads and boilers acting as backup to the chp units. A saving equating to 100k per annum.
- A reduction in reactive O&M call outs of up to £20,000 pa.
Great to work with the GHA team on this project the site was transformed with tennat complaints almost dissapearing , which could not be done with the excellent input and great attiude GHA demonstrated.
Shahid -Enerza founder